Thursday, August 14, 2014

The Blacks and the LDS Priesthood

For me, this settled the "Blacks and the Priesthood" issue.  I have never had a problem with it after reading this quote from David O. McKay.  I also used this quote as personal proof that Jesus Christ speaks to the LDS Prophet from time to time, telling the man what to do and when to do it.  The quote tells me that the Lord censors and censures His Prophets whenever He feels the need to do so.

As quoted from the book, “David O. McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism,” we have this experience:

In the years since 1978, many in the church have supposed that [LDS Prophet Spencer W.] Kimball received the revelation [granting the Blacks the Priesthood] because he asked the Lord, whereas his predecessors, including [LDS Prophet David O.] McKay, did not ask. Yet in the decades following his death, it has gradually become apparent that he [David O. McKay] wrestled with the subject for years and years, making it a matter of intense prayer on numerous occasions. His earliest inquiry, as far as we have record, was referred to earlier in this chapter and occurred in 1954, shortly after his return from South Africa. Other inquiries followed. . . . The subject had come up in several such meetings; and obviously venting from private feelings, he [David O. McKay] told the secretaries in his reception room that he had inquired of the Lord several times on the matter, and that the answer was, “Not yet.”

But, the most remarkable account came from Richard Jackson, an architect who served in the Church Building Department from 1968 through the time of McKay’s death in 1970, “I remember one day that President McKay came into the office. We could see that he was very much distressed. He said, “I’ve had it! I’m not going to do it again!” Somebody said, “What?” He said, “Well, I’m badgered constantly about giving the priesthood to the Negro. I’ve inquired of the Lord repeatedly. The last time I did it was late last night. I was told, with no discussion, not to bring the subject up with the Lord again; that the time will come, but it will not be my time, and to leave the subject alone.” We were all, of course, a little dumbstruck. I don’t think it has ever been written that that happened. I’ve never told anybody about that. I can still see him coming in with a bit of a distraught appearance, which was unusual for President McKay. He always appeared as if he had everything under control.

--
--

David O. McKay said: “The thing you need to remember about evolution is that the Lord has never revealed anything about the matter. People have their opinions, but the Lord has not revealed the details of how He created the earth.”

1 comment: